The deadline to enter the Georgia Poetry Prize competition is fast approaching (November 30 at 5:00 pm)!
In partnership with the Georgia Institute of Technology, Georgia State University, and the University of Georgia, the University of Georgia Press has established the Georgia Poetry Prize, a national competition that will celebrate excellence in poetry. Supported by the Bruce and Georgia McEver Fund for the Arts and Environment, the Georgia Poetry Prize will be open to unpublished, original collections of poems written in English by residents of North America.
Dates for submission:
All entries must submitted between 9:00 a.m. on October 1 and 5:00 p.m. on November 30, 2017. All entrants will be notified of the results via email by February 1, 2018. There is a $25 entry fee.
Two preliminary judges read the manuscripts submitted to the competition. The preliminary judges select five finalists each; the pool of finalist manuscripts is read by an annually designated chief judge, who makes the final selection of one winning manuscript and a runner-up. Authors of winning manuscripts receive a cash award of $1,000, and their collections are subsequently published by the University of Georgia Press under a standard book contract. Winners have ten days to accept the award and ten days to sign the contract following receipt.
The Georgia Poetry Prize is open to unpublished, original collections of poems written in English by residents of North America (*individual poems may have been previously published).
- Manuscripts are recommended to be a minimum of 50 pages to a recommended maximum of 100 pages of original poetry.
- Please be sure manuscript pages are numbered.
- Please include a table of contents.
- Please use a standard, easy-to-read font such as Times New Roman in twelve-point size.
- Poems included in the submission may have appeared previously in magazines or anthologies but may not have been previously published in a book-length collection of the author’s own work.
- Authors may submit more than one manuscript to the competition for consideration as long as no material is duplicated between submissions. Each submission will require a separate entry fee.
- Manuscripts under consideration for this competition may be submitted elsewhere at the same time. Please withdraw your manuscript if it is accepted by another publisher and should no longer be considered for the Georgia Poetry Prize competition. Withdrawal can be completed via the submissions manager website. Entry fees are not refundable.
For more information, visit our webpage.