The UGA Press is looking for a detail-oriented student intern with a passion for books and publishing to work in our acquisitions editorial department for fall 2018 as our Wormsloe Foundation Acquisitions Intern. This is a paid position with a $3,000 stipend for the semester.
It’s a great opportunity for anyone interested in becoming an acquiring editor in the publishing industry. A description of the position is below:
- Interns work 8–10 hours per week providing ongoing support for proposed book
projects; sending letters to prospective authors, readers, and blurbers; drafting and
sending decline letters; preparing and shipping manuscripts to reviewers; maintaining project information in the Press database; performing online searches for small research assignments; and helping with image and permissions inventories.
- Interns will work on illustration-heavy manuscripts for the Wormsloe Foundation book series and gain experience researching and logging permissions, communicating with authors, and learning how to evaluate, organize, and prepare art for publication.
Interns are encouraged to attend in-house meetings with staff and authors.
- Candidates must be comfortable using Microsoft Word and capable of writing clear,
Breakdown of work by time spent:
- 30% developing permissions logs
- 25% drafting letters and internal memos
- 25% Biblio records management
- 20% author communications
To apply, send résumé and cover letter by August 10 for a fall internship to Beth Snead at email@example.com.
For students interested in other departments, be sure to check out our full list of internships.